Sunday, September 14, 2008

Remember me?

Hello--
Is anybody there???
Still no computer, no email, or no television for that matter. But it's coming. So don't forget about me.
How do people live without the internet? or television? Don't answer that.
I currently have hurricane refugees staying with us. My sister Jessica and her family got here from the Houston area yesterday--their house has no electricity right now.
They came to the right place--we have lots of power. Just sitting here unused and wasting away. It certainly isn't being used to operate computers or televisions (or ovens or electronic kitchen utensils or mixers).
So here we all are--all 13 of us in a house full of boxes and unused electricity. (Oh, and all the food from Jessica's fridge and freezer--minus the strawberry freezer jam which she left behind to rot. Somebody needs to get their priorities in order.)
I hope everyone is enjoying their computers and their internet access and is appreciating it for the incredible miracle that it is. Someone in my new ward today asked me if I was all unpacked and settled in. That was funny. The good news is that my sister-in-law Julie has completely abandoned her family to help me unpack and make sense of my chaos.
Well, Dave needs his laptop back....... it's okay though because I wanted to go stare at the wall anyway.

9 comments:

Danielle said...

I am sorry you don't have any of those things. I can do without tv fine but take my internet away from me and I would cry! Hope you get unpacked soon! We miss you guys!

New Life in Utah said...

oh Gill you are so funny! it was so good to talk to you on the phone the other day. I miss seeing your blog. I understand on the TV and Computer thing, it is a way for us busy moms with so many kids to come up for air! hang in there girl. Enjoy the house guest. I am sure they are so grateful for you being there to help out with that. I tell you after all the weather issues I am soooo glad to live far from ocean water!!!:-)

lorelie said...

How could she leave behind freezer jam?!!

It sounds like life is stock full of everything but mindless entertainment (which is profoundly crucial to my survival!). If it makes you feel any better, we moved here in Jan. and I still have at least 50 boxes of stuff to unpack. I should probably just toss it, but nooooo....it sits in my basement and in little spaces here and there throughout the house. You guys will most likely beat me to the "settled in" phase. Hang in there with everything. Before you know it you'll be called as Relief Society President and things will feel like home. That's when that freezer jam would have come in real handy. =]

Jen Guthrie said...

I'll come and stare at the walls with you-that's what friends are for...and when you decide youv'e had enough of the starring and you want to cook dinner or be productive-I'll drag you back to the stare business with me-again-I am a true friend!

Alli said...

It was good to hear from you I was wondering if you had really landed in Dallas-I was begining to worry. Myles has been grounded for a week and our television, radio etc.. have been turened off and it does give an unfamilar silence try to enjoy it!! Can't wait to catch up soon, I hope all is well with you guys, Give Lauren a hug and tell her we miss her at Young Womens. Tali is finally a beehive and its sad to say the hive is not buzzin we miss our Lauren.

♥Stef said...

You have just described the nightmare I had the other night. No TV, no computer, no phone, no freezer jam ahhhh.
It is so hard to move. I'm glad you have some diversions. They are a blessing in disguise. You are truly a saint Gil. It will be nice when you are back online again! Until then....Good Luck!

Andrea said...

Gillian:
It's so good to hear from you. Good luck with the unpacking and I can't wait until you are online again. I'll continue to pray for you.
Love,
Andrea

Luthi Girls and Daddy said...

glad to see you out in cyberspace at least for a nanosecond! I've been in my house nine months and I still have some boxes to unpack and lots of stuff leaning on the walls instead of hanging!!
Love you, Liesl

The Lindners said...

At least without internet, no bills to pay, right? I think if you lost your phone, it might really put you over the edge! We miss you- absence makes the heart grow fonder. Come back and see us soon- or maybe, we'll come bug you!