First, I'm a broken record, but thank you so much for your emails, comments, phone calls, gifts(thanks Mike and Jess, Andrea, Tami, Joy), cards, etc. I guess my cry for help--if that's what it was--was heard. I've been a mess and your thoughts and prayers have been felt and appreciated.
Second, if anyone had the opportunity to watch/listen to General Conference this past weekend, I have two words--You're Welcome. I take full credit, you see. Obviously, the wonderful talks and topics were meant for my ears. I'm glad I could share my personal--tailor-made for me-- conference talks with the rest of the world.
These are some of the things I heard:
From President Monson--(I'm paraphrasing) We need to focus on not what is missing from our lives, but be grateful for our abundance--We need to adapt to the changes in our lives and find joy in the journey.
From Elder Anderson--"You don't know everything, but you know enough.... Faith is not only a feeling, it is a decision"
From Elder Uchtdorf--"The adversary uses despair to bind hearts and minds in suffocating darkness...Hope encourages and inspires us to trust in the Lord" and "No matter how bleak the chapter of our lives may look today, because of the life and sacrifice of Jesus Christ we may hope and be assured that the ending of the book of our lives will exceed our grandest expecatations.... Hope sustains us through despair."
From Elder Wirthlin--"The Lord compensates the faithful for every loss...That which is taken away from those who love the Lord will be added unto them in His own way....Every tear today will eventually be returned a hundredfold with tears of rejoicing and gratitude.
From Elder Holland--In times of special need, God sends angels, seen and unseen...God never leaves us alone, never leaves us unaided in the challenges that we face...
Elder Cook--"the contrast of sweet and bitter is essential until the end of life....The atonement of Christ covers all of the trials and hardships that we encounter in this life."
To their testimonies I feel a need to add my own--something I don't do often enough. I don't mean to preach--but I figure I've shared part of the bitter, and so I need to balence it a bit. Though at times, my sorrow and grief threatens to destroy me, I have never felt alone. I have a loving Father in Heaven who hears and answers my prayers--who has brought me comfort during my darkest nights. My sorrow and sadness has never been without hope, never turned into despair. I have never questioned my faith, nor have I felt anger towards God or anyone. Although I don't understand all the "reasons" for this trial in my life, I am content that there is One who does. I am grateful to have a Savior who overcame sin and death for me. I am grateful for the knowledge that I will see my son again, and I can have the opportunity to hold him again--and to raise him...and run my fingers through his hair and kiss his chubby cheeks and to teach him about all the things that I have learned. I am grateful that I can have my entire family together--forever--that I will one day feel this loss no more.
I have had many special experiences these past months. Many too special to share. They have sustained me through the hardest days.
I count this past General Conference as the most memorable of my life. I am grateful for the strength it gave me.
This is sounding like a talk or something--and I don't mean for it to--but I have one more quote to share that I've recently read from Jeffrey R. Holland
"It is imperative to remember He is right there with us as He has ALWAYS been. When we weep, He and the angels of heaven weep with us..when suffering, we may in fact be nearer to God than we have been in our entire lives. Bad days come to an end. Faith always triumphs. Heavenly promises are always kept." Jeffrey R. Holland
It's perfect isn't it? Do you think it will help me tomorrow?
Thanks for listening--



12 comments:
Simply beautiful Gil. I was so hoping you would hear a message meant for you this past weekend. Little did I know, almost every talk would be tailor maid for you! I am so happy that you are feeling a measure of peace. My prayers are being answered.-- I have e-mailed you more...
It IS perfect, just as every summation you have made of General Conference. Those are the very things that I needed to hear too. Perhaps most of us could say that. So to your "You're Welcome" I say "Thank You." Not just for todays wisdom and insight, but for allowing me (all of us) to learn from you and to be able to meander through this year with you. I once again say that you are an amazing person. I think more of you than I ever have. How elated I am that you will be a forever family.
I hope all you said WILL help you tomorrow, and the next day, and the next day, and.....
I have been thinking a lot about you guys lately and I was glad to see you updated. Isn't it wonderful how the messages are just what we need. I can't wait until I can read everything and devour the messages. Thanks for sharing your testimony.
Gillian:
Beautiful! How amazing to me that those talks were exactly what we needed to hear. We will have our boys again and our tears will be compensated! There was so much strength and hope given to us when we needed it so badly. I hope it will carry us through until 6 months when hopefully we will have more to feast upon. I think you are wonderful Gillian! Thanks for being the angel that has helped me so much. You are simply amazing.
Love,
Andrea
Ben and I were thinking about you guys, especially during Cooks talk. Who am I kidding, we're ALWAYS thinking about you guys. See you soon. Go BYU!
love you, gil.
Gil it was so great to talk to you last night on the phone. Thank you for sharring all that you did last night and here on your blog. Your amazing and we are so lucky to call you our friends. Thinking and praying for you always Gidget
We just got back home tonight from Utah and had the wonderful opportunity to attend conference while we were there. I can't tell you how many times I turned to James with tears in my eyes and said "I keep thinking of the Ashtons!" It was a memorable conference. Thank you for your beautiful testimony, Gillian. You are amazing. Love, Shelley
During conference I did think of you a lot. It seemed that a lot of talks were about loss and finding joy and honestly, it was an answer to my prayers at least. I know I havn't really done much or said much duirng this last couple months, but just know you and your family has always been in my prayers...
Love you and can't wait for CHRISTMAS!!!!
Ok it's past midnight here and I can't sleep. I've been worrying about you lately. I'm glad i got up and checked your blog.
Liesl
Thank you for sharing your testimony. You are so strong, so beautiful. So what if it sounded like a talk; I for one need more of those in my live. I too enjoyed conference (well the parts that I could listen to when my children were not being too loud). Will this help you tomorrow? Well, I do not need to tell you that knowledge does not take the sting out of our trials; but knowledge sure gives comfort. So tomorrow (if you need to) cry, be angry, ignore the house and eat a pound or two of chocolate. And ten years from now, when you see (with the buffer of time to keep the pain at bay) the amazing relationship with our Savior that came of this, you will be able to say, yes it did help.
Gillian-
I can see why this picture of Zach is one of your favorites. It is so preciou. I am so glad you felt so much strength and comfort from Conference! I thought of you and your family so many times during the talks. Thank you for being brave enough to share so many of your thoughts and feelings on here. I felt the Spirit so strongly this Conference and some of those moments came during the same parts of the talks that you quoted, and they would immediately make me think of you. I am realizing that part of "mourning with those that mourn" makes the rest of us more sensitive to the Spirit and helps us gain a deeper appreciation of Heavenly Father's plan. I know you have not sought to be an inspiration, but you are. We will continue to pray for you and I hope the comfort you have felt will continue to carry you through!
Post a Comment