You know when you think you know exactly what you’re doing, because you’ve done it so many times before (even if you haven’t done it for a while---and you thought you'd never do it again), it should be “just like riding a bicycle”??? Here’s the bicycle metaphor for my life right now….
Even though I thought I was a pro at bicycle riding---this is my 6th journey after all, it turns out the bike is in terrible shape this time. It’s old and rusty, some of the parts are broken and irreparable, and it has never been off-roading before. So far the journey is not quite half over and there is no smooth path in sight.
How’s that???
What I mean to say is.....this pregnancy has been kicking my behind. As excited as I am to be on this journey again, I spend the majority of my days sick in bed. So far, I’ve had the added bonus of 5 additional weeks (past the usual 12) of “morning, i.e. all day sickness” (and counting) and a few complications that I’ve never experienced in the past (or even heard of). Turns out it’s nothing like riding a bicycle.
But nothing good comes without a price, right? My excitement and optimism have become slightly hidden in the fog, but they’re still there. Plus, I’ve become sort of like the human TV Guide, so the past 4 months haven’t been entirely lost.
At times I remember that I have a blog and email and phone messages to respond to, but I usually end up right back in bed before I actually finish those thoughts.
For a little while, I discovered what I thought was a “miracle drug”. It allowed me to go on a couple brief trips and enjoy myself. Future blog posts to follow….
But the miracle ended, and the medicine stopped working….alas. Back in bed…more TV to watch.



27 comments:
I hope you're feeling better soon. Such exciting news though to be expecting. Congratulations!
Lila
Sorry Gil, that sounds really crappy. I hope the sickness will wear off (and soon!).
I am so sorry this pregnancy has been so rough! Morning sickness is horrid. The next magical date is supposed to be around 20 weeks. Hopefully you will get better then, if not sooner. If your magical drug was zofran, try taking it with half a unisom. It worked a lot better that way with my last pregnancy.
Congrats!
Gil I was so excited you finally broke the news on your blog about this baby. I have been on pins and needles for months now waiting for you to pop the news. I know how hard the sickness thing is. I did it the whole time with all my kids. once you hold that sweet baby that Zach has prepared for your Arms it will all be worth it. Hang in there!I will call you later tell Dave we said hi
What wonderful news!! Wishing you days of feeling good ahead.
Congratulations! I hope the morning sickness ends soon! Yuck!
UGGH! That is the worst!! Beth and I are brainstorming that we need to bring food and come have a mini Outlander book club discussion in bed! You up for it??
Another baby! Congrats! I would ride that old, rusty bike if I was given the option. My pregnancy with Colbie was the worst ever but I would do it again in a heartbeat! I am so happy you feel like crap!;)
i am so happy for you gill. gongrats. hope you fell better. one of my freinds here is pregnant to and she fells like you. it passes the farther you come along. did i forget to mention CONGRATS
Mickey
CONGRATS!!!!!! I'm sorry your sick!
I'm with you - I spent way too much time in bed with both Rachel and Megan. Let me know if you need something....I am an excellent "errand runner" and such!!
It just made my day to see your update! Congrats to you guys! Definitely the only time feeling icky is ever worth it ;) sorry it's sticking around for sooo long.
Love ya'--
Shel-
a great reminder today that you are still with us, thanks-i get updates and that holds me over-i know this "small moment" is feeling like one huge honkin' moment for you. thinking of you-you need a laptop-just for between the t.v. shows.
love
h
This is why I don't ski anymore, it's been too long and I know I will fall flat on my face (and most likely pull or break something) But I would definitely get back on the slopes if I knew that somehow it would help heal my heart or make my family complete again. You are doing the right thing-- and again, you are making a big sacrifice for your family.
I agree, get a laptop! We'll start digital scrapbooking lessons in bed!
Thanks for the update!
Gillian,
I am so HAPPY to see a post from you!! Sorry you are SO sick!!!!! I hate that feeling. It has be getting better soon....RIGHT??? It was good to see ya at GC. I have been wondering about ya!
Back on the wagon again? I like to think of it more as "just like falling off a bike". No matter how many times you do it it is going to hurt when you land, screw up your body and cause brain damage... that being said What a miracle. I am so baby hungry! (see what I mean about the brain damage?) Congratulations!!!
Congratulations! I am so happy for you, but sorry you are feeling so crappy. Miss you around here and can't wait to find out if you will have a boy or a girl!
Congratulations! I hope you get feeling better soon. Miss you!
I love your metaphor! I'm so sorry the sickness is still hanging out, bothering you. I'm thinking about you, and hoping that sickness wears off soon!
Congrats! That is so exciting! I'm sorry you have to deal with the prolonged sickness...I know it's awful but hopefully the days will pass quickly and you will start feeling a little better!
We are so excited for another Ashton baby! Congrats!!! Sorry to hear that you haven't had it so good. I feel for you since I've sorta been in the same boat. I haven't been super sick, but this pregnancy has sure been mean to my body. Have you tried the 1/2 unisom and B6, that helped me a lot with the sick feelings. Good luck and keep us informed.
Congrats on your news! Sorry you're having a hard time, though. I don't think I can put it any better than Jackie did! Best wishes on your new little one!
Gillian,
Keep your chin up!
UPDATES????
Rachel told me you had your baby girl. Congrats! I can't wait to see pictures.
We're coming up on a year here sweet Gil, since your last post....I'm aching for a little Gil commentary! =] No pressure...!
Post a Comment