
There’s a scene in the movie Castaway, towards the end where the deserted Tom Hanks is building a raft and is FINALLY going to get off his island—or die trying. He realizes he needs more rope to finish the job, but has used all the rope making materials he can find. He knows where he can get more rope—but has avoided going there because of fear and painful memories. A few years earlier, he had tried to hang himself from a tree on a high cliff—and the much needed rope was still there. So he did it—and he finished his raft which eventually led to his rescue.
Today I needed something too—although not nearly as dramatic. I was taking the kids to the pool and I couldn’t find goggles. Stupid goggles! I knew where some were, but I have successfully avoided it until now. There were some goggles in Zachary’s diaper bag. I remember this because two days a week I took Aubrey and Claire to swim practice and Zachary and I would hang out in the parent’s viewing area. His diaper bag has been sitting on the floor in my bedroom since February. I’ve avoided it like the plague. There is a room full of his clothes and toys that I see almost every day--but for some reason his diaper bag has been off limits. Maybe it’s because it has been left completely undisturbed since he was living—the last time it was opened I was probably needing to change his diaper or find a snack for him.
Today I needed goggles. So I went in. There were diapers, wipes, his busy book, little bags of snacks, his noisy little toy cell phone, and binkies. Oh, the binkies! We could never find them when he needed one. His diaper bag was a gold mine of binkies—there had to be 7 or 8 of them in there. I found his shoe that had been missing and an outfit that was way too small for him. I found a couple of my lipsticks and the beaded necklace that he yanked off my neck which sent little beads flying everywhere during Sacrament Meeting a few days before his accident. Of course, I found two pair of goggles.
I needed them, and so I found them. I did it quickly and now it’s done. I don’t think this will lead to my rescue. That’s all I have to say about that.
I needed them, and so I found them. I did it quickly and now it’s done. I don’t think this will lead to my rescue. That’s all I have to say about that.



7 comments:
my heart aches for you. I'm sure leaving that bag untouched was almost like leaving a little hope that life isn't what it is. "He can't be gone - there's his diaper bag. See?" You have a strong heart. I'm so sorry you have to deal with this. You're in my prayers.
Oh Gil! I am sorry. I am sure you are going to have more moments like that where you just have to be brave and dive in. My wise friend Kathy (who lost her baby last fall) compared grief to a book that you can put on the shelf to sit for awhile. But, eventually there are times when you have to get it down and read it a little at a time. Congratulations on getting the book down, at least for a little bit. And I hope you know it is OK to put it back on the shelf for as long as you need to. I love you.
Amy
Oh, Gillian, how hard that must have been to have gone through that undisturbed part of your everyday life with Zachary. Sounds like you did what you needed to do and that's ok. My heart is aching for you and you are in my prayers...much love,
Shelley
PS... your slideshow of Zachary is beautiful.. I love it.
Oh my heart just hurts for you! What amazing strength you have to even go in. I, too, loved the slide show of Zach. Thanks for sharing those pictures with us.
gil,
we have to go where we don't want to sometimes...I wish I was there to go with you. It's good that you talk about it...we all miss Zach. You are amazing and we just go minute to minute...I tell you that a million times...but my prayers and heart wishes for good minutes to help you through the bad ones!
love,
jen
When trying to convince you to do a blog, the reasons were: because it may give you help with your feelings about Zach and that you are such a wonderful writer! You allow us a glimpse into a life most of us don't know, the life of a grieving mother. I hope all the prayers of your family and friends help you during these times of facing painful memories. Great job getting the goggles out. I hope you have many more moments of strength in the months to come. If anyone can do it, you can!
Wow! You are an amazing person! I knew that about you 10 years ago when we met. You had said to me one time a few weeks ago that you realized that while you where mourning the loss that so where so many others who are a part of your life. I want to say Thank you for having the courage to share this. As hard as it is I want you to know that I am proud of you for taking that step to go in. You’re my friend and It helps me to find peace that God is helping you on the steps to healing some. Do you know that I look forward to? The day I get to see you and Dave Hold that sweet baby boy in your arms again! I know that day is coming... I love you Gill and our prayers are with you and your sweet family. Love Gidg
Post a Comment