
Today was the 5th month anniversay of the day we lost our Zachary. I am so afraid of forgetting the special things about him--his personality, his laugh, his smile. There are so many people that I care about who never got to meet him. So I thought I'd share a few special things about Zachary.
Zachary loved to give hugs. If you picked him up, he would often put his arms around your neck and give you a hug. Even when he was really young--like 5 or 6 months old. He also really loved to play with your hair. I loved to feel his little fingers running through my hair when he gave me one of his special hugs.
I hope Timari will forgive me for posting this--it was the best example I had of his "hugs".
Zachary was almost always happy. Really. He was the happiest baby we ever had. He had a smile on his face from the moment he woke up in the morning, until he went to bed at night. (Although I got to witness a couple of "tantrums" after he turned one--for the most part he was just happy to be here.)
Zach was so easy. He just went with the flow. Since he was the youngest of five kids, I had to cart him around a lot. He never seemed to mind our lack of schedule. He slept on the go, ate on the go, and was always interested in his surroundings. If I had to wake him up early from a nap, it was fine with him--sometimes he would just fall back asleep in his car seat or stroller.
Zachary loved walking. He was so proud of himself when he learned how to walk. He just walked around from room to room with the biggest smile on his face. He thought he was pretty cool. Once he learned to walk, he never reverted back to crawling, no matter how many times he fell--and he fell a lot. I was a little sad that I missed his first steps, but was so grateful that he shared them with two people who loved him so much--his aunt Rachel and uncle Ben.
Zachary loved to be outside. He loved to feel the wind in his face. Last summer, we spent a week camping on the beach. Zach was so happy most of the time, to just sit in his stroller and enjoy the ocean breeze. At home, he loved playing in the backyard--especially when someone pushed him in the swing.
I loved how happy the kids were to have him. They literally fought over him. Each one of my children loves and misses this little guy.
It's hard to imagine that 5 months have past since we lost him. In some ways it feels like a lifetime. My life is forever changed with this enormous loss. I'm so grateful for the knowledge that one day I can have him again. I wish that were enough to take away the pain right now. But it gives me hope. I just miss him--today, and every day.




19 comments:
We miss him very much. He always made me smile whenever he was around. He always added some sunshine where ever he was.
This may sound weird, but I love Zach so much even though I never met him. He has taught me a lot since he has been gone. What a special boy. I look forward to getting one of those hugs someday.
Amy
Still the most beautiful baby I have ever seen. We have talked many times about how fortunate it is that you had 14 perfect months, not everyone can say that. He truly was an Angel from the start. I am glad you had so many happy moments, and no bad to later regret. Zach was the luckiest baby in the world to have you as a mother. I have always been able to feel how much love you have for your children, no doubt Zach felt it to.
Miss those hugs and hair touching. Loved that about him. He lit up the room when he came in. He was very proud of walking wasn't he. Especially without shoes. If you brought him over with shoes and socks they were immediately taken off. He was always walking around my kitchen just opening cabinets. Not getting into anything just opening cabinets or pushing the play vaccuum around. Can't believe it has been five months. Whenever I show Breagan his picture he still says baby or Zac. Breagan's first true friend...we will always remember him and keep his memory alive with Breagan too!
Everyday when I dress Samuel I stop and think if that outfit belongs to Zach or not. Which gets me thinking about how much I miss him and how grateful I am to have been a part of every major event in his life. I remember how excited I was every time I came over and got to feed him, since he was the best little eater. And how happy I was when I got to watch him. I would be so sad when he'd come over and nap because I just wanted to wake him up and play with him instead. Oh, and the way he'd wave his cute little finger and say "No, no, no". Those are just a few things I like to think of so I don't get too upset.
And for anyone who may not believe how perfect of a baby he was, I can attest to that. I only ever saw him fussy probably twice.
Gil...I am right in step with you...I cried alot knowing it's 5months....we are changed but for Zach it is to be better...he was full of love, hope, sweetness, and of pure joy...his life is to be radiated in ours. You are one amazing "chick" and I love you so much...to share the joy and the pain is why our Heavenly Father put us down here together....love ya,
jen
I am with Amy, I never got to meet him, but I love him and have learned a lot these last five months. He was so beautiful and special.
Thank you for sharing those sweet things with us about your little Zach. Our family misses him so much too. I always loved to see him toddling around church with that happy little smile on his beautiful face.
I didn't get the opportunity to be around Zach a whole lot, but the few times I was I could tell how very precious he was, gosh he was sooooo adorable and as you said hugably fun!! I can honestly tell you I think of that sweet little guy so very often.. he has really touched so many in such a special way. How missed he is!!
Shelley
That is a great post! I love all the pictures! Hugs!!
Gillian:
Thanks for letting me get to know your Zach a little bit better. I cried as I looked at all the wonderful pictures and sweet moments you shared with him. I too feel like I love your little Zach even though I've never met him. You are amazing Gillian! I'm so grateful for you and the help you are giving me to make it through this difficult time. I can't wait to experience a Zach hug someday when we are raising our boys in the Millenium.
Love ya!
Andrea
Zach came to this world and has been able to teach so many people and touch so many lives. I feel so blessed to have the lessons I learn from him. God knew that you and Dave where the only one’s who could be parents to such a special child. Thank you for sharing so many wonderful things about him. we love you both and are praying for you.Love Gidg
Gillian, what a beautiful tribute to such a special little boy! I remember the 1st time I saw him & how it felt to hold such a beautiful baby and to feel that special spirit he had. I loved watching him interact with all your family & the love that you all shared. Dave brought him over a couple of times when he mowed my lawn & those were treasured moments playing with him. I miss him and being with the rest of your family. How blessed your children are for the special mom they have been given(& dad too)--Those treasured times will always be in your heart & you will remember them.
I will always think of Zach, running around, barefoot and hair sticking straight up. He was all life- he smiled, he ran, he enjoyed, everything. I see him in you, your kids, your husband- he's still with us in a way. He was everything that's great about life. We miss him too!
My mom watched Zach for you one Saturday and I remember stopping by her place for some reason. She came out on her porch holding Zach and I couldn't believe how cuddly he was with her. He had his arms around her neck and was leaning his cheek against hers, just like in that picture with timari. I clearly remember saying to my mom, "He has such beautiful coloring!" I love his sandy hair, his olive skin, and especially his eyes. Whenever I think of Zach I see those gorgeous brown eyes.
I agree with stef (but I don't know her!)... he was truly the most beautiful baby boy.
--c
I did not have the privilege to see Zack much, I mostly saw Zack at playgroup, but he truly was a sweet happy baby. I do not remember him ever fussing. After reading you post, well first I was to sad to think much, but then stopped and thought of my own children, I do not think that I have "crystallized" so many sweet moments of their babyhood as you have of Zack’s. Your sweet memories are truly precious, hang on to them; thank you for sharing them. Adriana
Gill, I want you to know Ive been thinking of you alot...I love and miss you
We are so glad that we were able to make it for little Zach's blessing. We will always remember that special time we got to spend with Zach and the family. Big Zach doesn't usually hold babies, but he sure liked holding little Zach when we visited. We will always remember that sweet little boy.
He really is one of the cutest babies I have ever seen. Seeing those pictures makes my heart ache and makes me miss him and I don't even know him!! He is an absolute doll and I'm sure he misses you just as much as you miss him.
Post a Comment