Monday, July 28, 2008

Zachary's headstone




Zachary's headstone was finally set last week. I was so worried I wouldn't be here when it arrived. It took me a long time to order it and to decide what I wanted it to say. It was never anything I had given any thought to before--designing a headstone for one of my precious children. That's also how I felt when, less than 24 hours after we lost Zach, I had to sit down and write his obituary. How do you even know where to begin, or what to say? I was so grateful for the help I had that day from a dear friend.
One of the things that kept going through my mind right after I lost Zach was, "I don't know how to do this." I don't have the wisdom, the experience, the strength. I'm not like others, who always seem know the "right" words, reactions, perspectives. So how can I do this?
What I learned over the next few hours, days, weeks, and now months is that a way is always provided. There has been someone literally holding my hand through each of my darkest moments, each of my impossible tasks. To list people individually would be a mistake, but I hope my savoirs know who they are. Have I said "thank you" enough? Have I expressed enough gratitude for all that has been done for me? I think not.
Gratitude has overwhelmed me almost as much as the grief. I've never been good at the "thank yous"--each year it tops my list of New Years Resolutions. How can I ever help people understand what they have done for me? What their love, support, and especially their prayers have meant. I've have thought a lot about sharing some of the amazing things that people have done for my family, and maybe I will sometime, but for now I just want to tell everyone and anyone Thank You--and hope those words carry the profound meaning that is intended.
So now my little boy's resting place has a name and a face. It turned out just as I hoped it would. It feels very final to me, like a period on a sentence. And again, I am grateful, and so very sad.

12 comments:

Shel said...

Gillian, that is such a beautiful headstone. You did a great job designing it.. I love the pictures! Your testimony of the strength you've been blessed with through this is so powerful and you are amazing.. your words are beautiful and I'm grateful that you share your feelings, your testimony and your love....it helps me, thank you. Shel-

New Life in Utah said...

Oh Gillian you did a great job with his headstone! I love everything about what you did with it, the Pictures are perfect! I am so glad you where able to be there when it arrived. I know we had talked about what you wanted it to say and how hard it was to pick out. I really think you are amazing! we love and miss you guys so much. love Gidg

lorelie said...

This headstone is absolutely beautiful. You did an amazing job designing it and you can truly feel the love you have for Zach just looking at it. I'm so relieved that it got finished before you had to move. I'm sure flowers will be fill those vases often.

As always, your words are perfectly stated. Thanks for giving us all an intimate look into your heart. You've been such an example to me on many levels. You are an amazing person.

Good luck with the next adventure in Dallas. The house is gorgeous!

Danielle said...

The headston is just beautiful! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with all of us. You are such an amazing person. We will miss you guys so much when you move. We will most definitely visit you guys while we are out there!

Megan said...

Its perfect!

♥Stef said...

Gillian and Dave,
What a BEAUTIFUL headstone.
When I looked at the pictures of the funeral I wondered how you did it all, the obituary, the eulogy, the casket and now the headstone. I am sure you did it all for Zachary, because you loved him so much. You wanted to honor him. What a fortunate little boy to have you smother him with love every single moment of his life.
Nobody expects a thank you after a death. You have thanked all of us enough, I am sure. No one has ever said such kind words to me as you have during the past few months. I should be thanking you. You are a special friend and person. Love, Stef

Jen Guthrie said...

Timing is a funny thing...and the headstone is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen...to reflect the beautiful life of Zach...that lives on.
You know that I have told you what a privilege it has been to walk with you on this journey of grief and love. I will never be the same and you are the one I thank...for your grief that is ugly to you but so humanly/spiritually beautiful to me..a mother's love is tender and real...a son's love for his mommy is equally the same...and our Heavenly Father's love is above all. Everyone who has even been near this experience has for sure had their hearts grow beyond measure...we are a little better by knowing you and Dave...and we have had such an awesome opportunity to show our love....so thank you Gil because you make it day to day on the trail that Heavenly Father has chosen you to walk...but not alone...I love you!

Rachel said...

I THOUGHT THAT IT TURNED OUT PERFECT, RACHEL AND MYSELF HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO SEE IT IN PERSON AND THOUGHT IT WAS BEAUTIFUL. I ALWAYS GET SUCH A PEACEFUL FEELING WHEN I'VE GONE TO VISIT ZACHARY.

Bountiful Blessings said...

What a beautiful tribute to a beautiful boy. Stay stong in the Lord...his blessing shall come your way. Thank you for sharing your family and life with everyone.

wyofamily said...

Gill you are amazing..You are such a wonderful person...Thank you for always sharing w/ us. Not being there w/ yall has been hard so w/ your blog it feels like we are kinda there w/ you...I love you Gill and am always here for you...

Anonymous said...

Hi Gil, that headstone is beautiful. We put the words, "Our family is forever" on our baby Michael's headstone too. Every time I sing that song, tears come to my eyes. I'm so grateful for that blessing - Families ARE FOREVER! This life is so short, and before we know it - we will all be reunited with our loved ones again. I can't imagine the difficulty of this trial that you have had to endure, but I can relate to the comforting feelings that "Saviors" along the way can bring. I hope you are always comforted with those feelings, for there are many of us that hold your family in our hearts and keep you in our prayers. We love you!

Adriana said...

Gillian, the headstone is beautiful. I have a hard time imagining you doubting yourself. I think you do everything so well, with amassing class and grace. I wish you did not have to go though this experiences. Thank you for sharing your thoughts; they are a source of strength.

Adriana